Definisi dan Jenis Noun Clause





A.    DEFINITION
Clausa yang berfungsi sebagai noun.
Fungsi fungsi noun:
1.      Subject
a.       Subject of verb
b.      Subject after it
c.       Subjective complement
2.      Object
a.       Object of verb
b.      Object of preposition
3.      Appositive

B.     KINDS
1.      Statement
Conjunction   : that (bahwa)
Peringkasan    : omitting
E.g.
Statement : the world is around.
Noun Clauses:
-          That the world is around is the fact. (1a)
-          It is the fact (that) the world is around. (1b)
-          The fact is (that) the world is around. (1c)
-          We know (that) the world is around. (2a)
-          The children believe in (that) the world is around. (2b)
-          The explanation (that) the world is around is amazing. (3)

2.      Question
Peringkasan     : Abridgment.
Kinds:
a.       Yes / No Question
Conj.          : whether / if ……. (or not)
E.g.
Y/N Question        : should she come?
Noun Clauses:
-          Whether she should come (or not) is unimportant to me.
-          I don’t know Whether she should come (or not).
-          She can’t decide Whether to come (or not). (abridgment)

b.      W.H Question
Conj.          : Question Words
E.g.
W.H Question       : what must I do?
Noun Clauses:
-          What I must do is not your bussiness.
-          I don’t know What I must do.
-          Please tell me What to do. (abridgment)

3.      Request (subjunctive)
·         Menunjukkan makna saran atau perintah.
·         Conjunction         : that (agar, supaya)
·         Terdapat kata subjuctive dalam MC dan diikuti V1 (bare Inf.)
·         Peringkasan          : omitting
E.g.
a)      I insisted that he pay me the money.
b)      I recommended that she not go to the concert.
c)      It is important that they be told the truth.
d)     The teacher demands that we be on time.
e)      The teacher demands that we should be on time. (British English)
4.      Exclamation
·         Conjunction         : what / how (sungguh, betapa, alangkah)
·         Peringkasan          : ø
·         Form                     : how + adj / adv + S + V
  What + noun phrase + S + V

E.g.
Statement             : she is graceful
Exclamation         : how graceful she is!
Noun Clause        : I wonder how graceful she is.

Statement             : Timmy has a cute bunny.
Exclamation         : what a cute bunny Timmy has!
Noun Clause        : I know what a cute bunny he has.



C.    PERINGKASAN
1.      Omitting
·         Penghilangan conjunction
·         Form         : n + conj + S + V -----------> n + S + V
2.      Abridgemnet
·         Penghilangan subject
·         Form         : conj + S + V -----------> conj + to inf.


EXERCISE 1

Error identification
1.      What should they do about the hole in their roof is their most
   A        B                  C                                    D            E          
pressing problem.
2.      Be sure to tell the doctor where does it hurt.
A            B                                 C   D   E           
3.      We have an antique table, the top of it has jade inlay.
 A           B                      C             D                E
4.      My sister has two childrens, whose names are Ali and Talal.                             
A        B         C                D        E
5.      Whether she come or not is unimportant to me.
  A               B             C           D           E
6.      He gave several reason, only a few of which were valid.
     A                B             C               D              E
7.      Before I came, I didn’t have the opportunity to speak with
A                     B                                                     C
people who English is their native tongue.
              D                                      E
8.      Any student not wanting to go on the trip should information
     A      B                               C                         D
the office.
         E
9.      What my friend and I did it was our secret. We didn’t tell our
A                                     B                             C                      
parents what did we do.
    D              E
10.  George Washington, the first president of the United States,
A                       B
was a wealthy colonist and a generally in the army.
  C  D                                        E           


EXERCISE 2

I. Pick out the correct answer!
1. Do you know...?
a.   why did they postpone their travel     c. why they postpone their travel
b.  what they postpone their travel          d. did they postpone their travel
2. I’ve been wondering...
a.   where did I put my library card?        c. where I put my library card
b.  where have I put my library card?      d. where my library card I put.
3. The report... is not true.
a.   which the village is completely flooded
b.  that is the village completely flooded
c.   that the village is completely flooded
d.  is the village completely flooded
4. He only laughed at...
a.   what his wife said.                              c. what did his wife say?
b.  what did his wife said?                       d. what his wife said?
5. The problem is ...
a.   how can I do that                                c. how I can do that?
b.  how to do that.                                               d. how can I do that?

II. Complete the following sentences!
1.  Indonesia is agricultural country.
It is well known ____________________________________________
2.  Will he find his lost wallet?
I don’t know ____________________________________________
3.  How did he find his lost wallet?
   The question is ____________________________________________
4.  What is your name?
I want to know ____________________________________________
5.  Is he going to come here?
____________________________________________ is not important.

EXERCISE 3                        
I.       Complete the following sentences!
1.      Christian Renaldo is the great football player.
It is well-known __________________________________________
2.      Who is that girl?
I don’t know ____________________________________________
3.      How much does it cost?
I don’t remember _________________________________________
4.      Does she come here?
________________________________________ is unimportant to me.
5.      What did the teacher say?
I couldn’t hear ____________________________________________


II.    True or False and underline the error!
1.      [   ]       Tell the taxi driver where do you want to go.
2.      [   ]       After the accident, I opened my eyes slowly and realize that I am still alive.
3.      [   ]       I need to know who is your teacher.
4.      [   ]       Why am I unhappy is something I can’t explain.
5.      [   ]       I’ll ask her would she like some coffee or not.
6.      [   ]       I wonder why was Bob late for class.
7.      [   ]       Be sure to tell the doctor where does it hurt.
8.      [   ]       I don’t understand what do you mean.
9.      [   ]       What my friend and I did it was our secret.
10.  [   ]       We didn’t even tell our parents what did we do.

III. Translate into English!
Apa yang kamu beli kemarin saat aku sedang melewati jalan yang sangat padat itu adalah baju yang sangat bagus. Saya ingin tahu seberapa mahal baju itu.  Saya akui bahwa baju bagus itu sangat mahal dan saya tidak tahu apakah saya bisa membelinya atau tidak. Besok saya akan pergi dimana kamu telah membeli baju itu dan saya akan menawarnya.

______________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Daftar Pustaka

  1. Azar, Betty Schrampfer; Understanding And Using English Grammar, Third Edition, Longman, 1999.
  2. Echols, John M. and Hassan Shadily, Kamus Inggris Indonesia, PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, Jakarta.
  3. Echols, John M. and Hassan Shadily, Kamus Indonesia Inggris, PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, Jakarta
  4. Frank, Marcella; Modern English, Prentice Hall. Inc; New York, 1972.
  5. Swan, Michael; Practical English Usage, New Edition, Oxford University Press, 1996.
  6. Thompson, A.J and Martinet, A, V; A Practical English Grammar, Forth Edition, Oxford University Press, 1968.
  7. _______________, Oxford Learner’s Dictionary, Oxford University Press, 1991.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWO EVENT CONCEPT

ADVERBIAL CLAUSE

Adjective Clause