PART OF SPEECH - Part Pronoun



PRONOUN
(Kata Ganti)

A.    Definition
      Kata yang digunakan untuk menggantikan Noun. Noun yang digantikan disebut “Antecedent/Reference” (Rujukan).
      E.g.
Bob bought a new motorcycle yesterday. He rode it this morning.



B.     Kinds
Personal
Possessive
Reflexive  Pronoun
Subject
Object
Adjective
Pronoun
I
You
We
They
She
He
It
Me
You
Us
Them
Her
Him
It
My
Your
Our
Their      
Her
His
Its
Mine
Yours
Ours
Theirs
Hers
His
Its
Myself
Yourself/selves
Ourselves
Themselves
Herself
Himself
Itself

1)      Personal Pronoun
Def: Kata ganti untuk noun yang sudah jelas.
Kinds:  a. Subject        : I, you we, they, she he, it
        b. Object         : me, you, us, them, her, him, it
E.g.
The students were standing in front of class. The teacher punished them


2)      Possessive Pronoun
Def: Kata ganti kepemilikan yang menggantikan noun beserta pemiliknya.
Kinds: mine, yours, ours, theirs, hers, his, its
E.g.
My pens are here. Diana’s pen is there. Hers is better than mine

3)      Reflexive Pronoun
Def: Kata ganti yang merujuk pada diri sendiri.
Kinds: myself, yourself/yourselves, ourselves, themselves, herself, himself, itself.
Functions:
ð As Emphasize (penekanan)
E.g.
I myself do my homework or
I do my homework myself
ð As Object (subject=object)
E.g.
Tommy sees himself in the water.
Maria always thinks about herself
ð As Adverb (By + Ref. Pronoun = alone)
E.g.
She stays at home by herself
She stays at home alone.

Note:
Terkadang, Object pronoun digunakan sebagai object of Prep. Meskipun subject dan object kalimat adalah individu yang sama.
E.g.
Bob brought his books with him.
I look around me.



4)      Indefinite Pronoun
Def: Kata ganti untuk noun yang tidak jelas.
Kinds:
Ø  Indefinite Person/thing

- body
- one
- thing
Some
Every
Any
No
Somebody Everybody
Anybody
Nobody
Someone
Everyone
Anyone
No one
Something
Everything
Anything
Nothing
Note:
ð  Indefinite Person/Thing dianggap singular sehingga diikuti singular verb.
  E.g. Someone is singing, nobody is perfect, everything is OK
ð  Personal Pronoun untuk Indefinite Person/Thing adalah:
a.       Indefinite thing (IT)
E.g. Something is happening. It is an accident.
b.      Indefinite person (HE/THEY)
E.g. somebody left his book. (formal)
Somebody left their book.  (informal)

Ø  Indefinite Quantity
- All                      - some              - much             - little
- Both                   - several           - many             - few                etc
E.g.
I have many books. Some are English books.

5)      Reciprocal Pronoun
Def: kata ganti yang menunjukkan hubungan saling interaksi.
Kinds: - Each other (saling)    : 2 noun
          - One another (saling) : lebih dari 2 noun.
Form: S + Vt + Rec. Pronoun
                 (Subject berupa plural)
E.g. She and I always help each other
6)      Demonstrative Pronoun
Def: kata ganti yang berupa kata tunjuk.
Kinds:
              Funct.
Meaning
Singular/Uncount
Plural
Ini
This
These
Itu
That
Those
Note:
Personal pronoun untuk demonstrative pronoun tergantung antecedent (baik person/non-person maupun singular/plural), sedangkan antecedent dari demonstrative pronoun adalah noun yang ditunjuk.
E.g.
That is my sister. She is beautiful.
Those are some pencils. They belong to Fahmi.

7)      Interrogative Pronoun
Def: kata ganti yang berupa Question Word (kata tanya).
Kinds: who, whom, what, whose, which.
E.g. Diana is reading a book.
           a                                    b
a.    Who is reading a book? (who berfungsi sbg Q.W dan kata ganti untuk Diana)
b.    What is Diana reading? (what berfungsi sbg Q.W dan kata ganti untuk book)

8)      Relative Pronoun
Def: kata ganti yang berfungsi sebagai penghubung (Adjective Clause/Relative Clause).
Kinds: who, whom, which, that (bermakna “yang”)
E.g. I’m wearing T-shirt which I bought yesterday.


EXERCISE:

I.       Fill the blank with a suitable pronoun and Underline the antecedent!
  1. My name is Sue. ………………. am English and this is my family.
  2. My mum's name is Angie. ………………. is from Germany.
  3. Bob is my dad. ………………. is a waiter.
  4. On the left you can see Simon. ………………. is my brother.
  5. Sue and Simon are family. ………………. are twins.
  6. Our dog is a girl, Judy. ………………. is two years old.
  7. Sue, Simon, Angie and Bob are my classmates. ………………. live in Canterbury.
  8. Canterbury is in Africa.  ………………. is not far from London.
  9. My grandparents live in London. ………………. often come and see us.
  10. Timmy has a new book. ………………. is very thick.

II.    Fill each blank with a suitable possessive adjective!
Hi Daniel,
1____________ name is John. This is 2____________  friend Jason. He's 12. 3____________  sister is nine. 4____________  pet is a budgie. 5____________  name is Dickens. Jason and I go to the same school. There are 450 boys and girls in 6____________  school. Jason's form teacher is Mrs. Peterson. She has got a pet, too. 7____________  pet is a tortoise. Our form teacher is Mr. Smith. I like 8____________  lessons. He has two dogs. The dogs love to play in 9____________  garden. Now I have a question for you. What's 10____________  pet?
Yours,
John
III. Fill each blank with a suitable Reflexive Pronoun.
1.      He rewarded _______________ with an ice-cream.
He rewarded himself with an ice-cream.
2.      They agreed amongst _______________ that they would not tell anyone.
They agreed amongst themselves that they would not tell anyone.
3.      I taught _______________ to draw.
I taught myself to draw.
4.      You must explain _______________ more clearly.
You must explain yourself more clearly.
5.      He has a bad temper so he must learn to control _______________.
He has a bad temper so he must learn to control himself.
6.      We thoroughly enjoyed _______________ at the party on Sunday.
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at the party on Sunday.
7.      That monkey is scratching _______________.
That monkey is scratching itself.
8.      HeHHhhfgdtrsdtdh;uih;jHe must defend _______________ against bullies.
One must defend oneself against bullies.
9.      My brother and I bought _______________ some apples.My brother and I bought ourselves some apples.
10.  She cooks for _______________ every day.

IV. Choose the correct indefinite pronouns
  1. Don’t blame yourself for the mistake. ______________ is perfect. (body)
  2. There is ______________ in your hair. I think it is a bug. (thing)
  3. Our holiday was perfect. ______________ went as we wished. (thing)
  4. He didn’t say ______________ useful. All nonsense. (thing)
  5. I would like to have ______________ to drink please. (thing)
  6. Can ______________ hear me? Is there ______________out there? (body)
  7. I will do ______________ for you. You are my best friend. (thing)
  8. There is ______________ I can’t tell you. I will keep it as a secret all my life. (thing)
  9. He was so helpful. He helped nearly ______________ in the village. (body)
  10. My dictionary was on the desk. ______________ has taken it. (body)

V.    Fill each blank with a suitable Reciprocal Pronoun!
1.        John and Mary looked at ………………………
2.        Peter and Susan have met ………………………
3.        Elka, Yonne and Joanna gave ……………………… a book.
4.        Three children talked to ……………………….They stood next to my house.
5.        I and my uncle talk to ……………………… every day. Although his character isn't easy to bear.
6.        She and her brother stopped talking and looked at ………………………
7.        John and his mother bought ……………………… presents for Christmas.
8.        My cat and his dog looked at ……………………… with dread.
9.        Barbara's three sons and their father hate ………………………
10.    I think that all people should love ………………………. No matter where they live.



Daftar Pustaka

  1. Azar, Betty Schrampfer; Understanding And Using English Grammar, Third Edition, Longman, 1999.
  2. Echols, John M. and Hassan Shadily, Kamus Inggris Indonesia, PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, Jakarta.
  3. Echols, John M. and Hassan Shadily, Kamus Indonesia Inggris, PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama, Jakarta
  4. Frank, Marcella; Modern English, Prentice Hall. Inc; New York, 1972.
  5. Swan, Michael; Practical English Usage, New Edition, Oxford University Press, 1996.
  6. Thompson, A.J and Martinet, A, V; A Practical English Grammar, Forth Edition, Oxford University Press, 1968.
  7. _______________, Oxford Learner’s Dictionary, Oxford University Press, 1991.












 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWO EVENT CONCEPT

ADVERBIAL CLAUSE

Adjective Clause